WARNING!! Whenever you have the opportunity to have an experience abroad do not let it pass you by or I swear you will regret it. In order to go in detail on why everyone should try to get out of their comfort zone at least once I will tell a little about my own story.
From a young age I was forced to move to Russia with my family due to a job opportunity my father had received. Since then, his job had my family and I moving from one country to another very quickly. Now I can say that living in these different countries was the greatest opportunity my family could have ever provided for me. When coming back to Brazil at the age of 11, I soon wanted to experience being abroad again and engaged in a german exchange program in which I lived for 2 months with a german family in Minden, Germany. Not satisfied with packing my bags way too often I decided that I wanted to go to college outside my home country. Now, at the age of 19, I have been living by myself in the United States for 2 years and this ongoing experience has already changed my life in impressive meaningful ways.
So why go abroad?
- You will mature incredibly fast. There is no doubt this is a consequence from the whole experience.
- You will learn how to do everything on your own. I met too many students that left home without knowing how to even make scrambled eggs and I guarantee that you will appreciate much more your parents.
- You will meet all types from people from all over the world and you will learn so much with them. I studied at a small British School in Russia where I was lucky enough to be around 89 different nationalities and it taught me so much about different cultures.
- You will be more open minded. This is consequence from meeting so many people from different backgrounds and having to deal with unique situations.
- You will make connections for life. This is specially important for anyone’s professional life. Having connections all over the world is an incredible deal no matter where you end up.
- You will develop a new perspective and see the world differently.
- You will probably learn a new language.
- You will learn to make decisions completely on your own. Coming from a Brazilian family I can say that Brazilian parents are normally overly protecting and caring. I was used to always having them around to help me make decisions and that sure changed when I left home.
- Get out of your comfort zone! Go explore!
If you have any questions or comments please leave comment below! Thank you!