American Thanksgiving season has me craving my Godmother’s famous apple pie so I decided to share with you all this beauty. The original version is much less healthier than this so we decided to substitute some ingredients to make us feel less guilty when we go for our 3rd slice. Please comment if you’re interest in the original recipe and I will make sure to post it soon!
- 400 grams of margarine (4 tablets) ( soft not hard)
- 1 Cup of sugar ( it is better if you substitute it with healthier kinds such as brown sugar or Demerara sugar)
- 2 Yolks
- 3 – 4 Cups of whole wheat flour ( add more than 3 cups of flour to the mixture if it is still sticking in your hand)
- 8 Apples ( 4 Fuji Apples and 4 Green Apples)
- 2 Limes (so the apples dont turn brown)
- Sugar as desired
- Cinammon as desired
- Walnuts as desired
- Golden Raisens as desired
Note: Preferably use a loose bottom cake pan. I used oen of 27 centimeters.
- Spread butter onto the bottom and corners of the pan.
- First, put the soft margarine in a bowl and mix it with the sugar. Add in the yolks and mix it till even. Then, for every cup of flour you add in, mix it well and repeat. Sprinkle a bit of flour on a clean table and use your hands to work with the dough. Mix everything with your hands and if the dough still feels sticky with 3 cups of flour already put add in either 1/2 or 1 cup more of flour. Put this dough aside.
- Remove the bottom part of the pan. Spread part of the dough onto the bottom pan. ( This is the pies base). Take it to the oven at 180 C until golden brown for about 15 minutes. Let it cool down.
- Peel the apples and cut it into thin slices. Put it in a separate bown and squeeze 2 limes on top of the apples.
- Place the bottom part back together to the pan. Take another portion of the dough and spread it around the inside of the pan.
- Grab about 2 handful of apples and sprinkle cinnamon, sugar, walnuts and rasins as desired. Repeat the process until all apples are used.
- Sprinkle flour onto a sheet of plastic film. Then, spread the rest of the dough onto the sheet. Use the sheet to help you cover the top part of the pie.
- Take the pie to the oven at 180C for about 40 minutes. Or until the pie releases itself from the pan.
- When it is cooled down, sprinkle sugar on top.
- Decorate as you wish!
Notes: Do not mix the dough for too long. The dough is supposed to be soft and even. It should not stick in your fingers.